Ten secrets for Dog training success!
How to get attentive, enthusiastic responses from your pup in training exercises and everyday life:
- Build your relationship with your puppy through fun, structured play, and training sessions. If you and your pup enjoy learning and exploring new things together every day, you will see amazing results in your training.
- Exercise, mental stimulation, and socialization are keys to raising a happy, well-behaved puppy. Regular play and new experiences should be a part of every pup’s routine. Under-stimulated dogs get into a lot more trouble and can’t seem to relax.
- Practice training once or twice a day for 5-15 minutes each session. Make this your average. If you prefer more, go for it! Integrating training exercises into your everyday activities will make a big difference (see #5 below for examples of this).
- Practice in different environments.Start with success in a non-distracting place (e.g., a quiet bedroom) and gradually work your way up to more challenging situations (e.g., the park).
- Vary your rewards. Dogs get bored just like we do. Use a variety of toys, touch, praise, food and real-life rewards. For example, request that your pup Sit before you: play a game with a toy, open a door for her, invite her into your lap for petting, deliver a meal, give her attention when you come home, or let her out of the crate/pen.